Monday, July 3, 2006

Follow-Up to "The Want Ad" ... "Can I Live For Jesus?"

Hey, Y'all,

Greetings from (at the moment) not-so-sunny South Florida--it's been a ridiculously great trip already and the week's just beginning (20th high school reunion)! Today's RST is a follow-up to the last one...

Hi Juan, after reading today's RST I had mixed feelings. Not because I disagree with any of it, on the contrary, I desire it so much that it becomes almost too unrealistic in my everyday walk. It can describe a moment in human life, but not HUMAN life. I long for it, but it seems too good to be true, too good to be true for man, but not for GOD.

I think that when we talk about such values and virtues as truth, honesty, courage, duty, ability to stand strong in spite of everything else falling around us, we simply cannot forget to give the glory back to the One it rightly belongs. If we want truth for the sake of truth, honesty for the sake of honesty, courage for the sake of courage, we, as humans, inevitably fall into Lucifer's trap when self tries really hard to go as high as it possibly can (unfortunately, most of the time Self forgets a parachute ). Ouch!

On the other hand, because God did not put on us 'more than we can bear' we are capable of withstanding trials and saying 'no' to fears that come in this package called HUMAN. Can you die for Jesus? Yes, if God gives me grace.

[Ed.: to your question "can I die for Jesus?" I would add the one which now seems to me to have become a much harder one--"can I live for Jesus? Will I live in such a way that people see His influence in me?"]

I really like your question "Can you live for Jesus?" Truly, if you are under His influence you are being transformed into His likeness and Jesus living in you becomes the biggest testimony of truth, courage, honesty, and ability to withstand trials. As you often say, He does the hard stuff; I just work here.

As I was reading chapter 55 of Messiah today, I came across something that I find very much in tune with that RST. If the parallels don't seem too obvious, please just take these words as they are:
"The kingdom of God comes quietly and personally to human hearts. It is not flashy and demanding like the things of this world. It is set up by the influence of the Holy Spirit changing the hearts of humans. God's Kingdom is with those who live and share this spiritual truth: 'I was put to death on the cross with Christ, and I do not live anymore, it is Christ who lives in me' (Galatians 2:20). 'In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling' (Exodus 15:13)."

Thanks--you know who you are --
that quote reminds me that I have to seek that time with God, that if I passively hope for the best and then wait for something to happen it never will because there are too many distractions, too many other things competing for my time and attention, for me to expect to grow spiritually without expending some effort to find a quiet time and place to do so--God respects me too much to impose Himself on me...ironic.

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: