Thursday, February 23, 2006

More On Waiting And Trusting

Hey, Y'all,

Here's the continuation of the thought on waiting quietly (which does not mean waiting passively and helplessly)--it's a brief excerpt of a very cool conversation I was having the other day with a friend...

...I feel you about those situations and I think it's because of idle time on our hands. The minute we get a break, we think we are missing out on something. I really do not watch much TV and of course I study a lot, but that drives me crazy and I have to stop. I find myself cleaning, in the backyard, washing my car, etc. [things I either like doing or feel like I have to get done]--everything but spend time with God. I guess the more time I spend with him, the less idle my mind would be. He would take my mind off of those things [that I feel like I'm missing out on]. He would fill that void if I would just communicate with Him more. However, the flesh steps in and takes over sometimes and I just want to be distracted or numbed out--that will always be a battle in itself. People say being married is hard, but I think being single and staying in God's Word may be at least as hard...

...Yeah, it's funny how sometimes I avoid going to the only place where I truly know I can find peace and quiet in my soul (what's that about?!?)(if there was ever any doubt that I'm a fallen human and prone to wander away from God and do stupid things...not that there ever was any doubt mind you ..but man!! just how dumb am I sometimes?!?). Anyway, as you said, it's the truth, and I just have to keep reminding myself that making communication and communion with Him first in my life orients me correctly and helps me think straight and see life the way it really, truly is. These verses that speak to me especially at times like this (and I 'pray them back to Him' when I'm looking for relief and reassurance)(and so that's my prayer this morning, for myself and for you as well):

Phillipians 4:19---"And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus." [You said "all my needs," Father, so I'm going to trust you on that...but it's not always easy to leave things in your hands and not go off and try to "fix things" myself].

Matthew 6:24-34---"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money [or anything else for that matter]. So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life--whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes. Doesn't life consist of more than food and clothing? ... Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? ... And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you? You have so little faith! [this BTW for those of you who were wondering is where that famous saying comes from "oh ye of little faith" in the old King James Version]. So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing. Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things? Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern [so that's pretty clear--the recipe for success is pretty straightforward--why do I "forget" so often?!?]. So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."


Cool--and thanks--you know who you are...
You've been prayed for today (as has the rest of the list).

No comments: