Monday, October 29, 2007

"I didn't know what I was talking about..."

Hey, Y'all,

Today's RST is kind of funny. On the surface it seems to merely consist of some cool Old Testament meanderings--but then it winds up exactly where I needed to be tonight--funny 'coincidence' huh? Yeah, right...

First I ran across this passage in Jeremiah 32:

Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you...O great and powerful God, whose name is the LORD Almighty, great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds.

That one reminded me of this one in Isaiah 55: "...my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Got me thinking about how my prayers, even the earnest and well-intentioned ones, must sound to God; how my limited vision and understanding must on the one hand sort of amuse Him and on the other frustrate Him--as stated in this unattributed comment on a passage in Job 42...

"'You [Lord] asked, "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance? Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?" It is I—surely I spoke of things I did not understand; I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too profound for me.' This prayer experience of Job's revealed to him a whole new dimension of problems he was not aware of: ignorance- and arrogance-based attitudes that he never knew existed. In short: he had a problem with pride; 'God is God, and you are not.'"

Which brought me back to (and gave me an entirely new understanding of) these stunningly generous, loving, patient words from our heavenly Father found in Isaiah chapters 1 and 55:

"Come, let us reason together...Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live."

What a concept: "Come, let us reason together...Why spend money on what is not bread, and labor on what does not satisfy? Listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare." Funny...like Job, I often don't really know what I'm talking about, but He wants nothing more than to sit and to talk it over with me and help me see more clearly. How cool is that?!?

So if your soul is thirsty--and whose isn't, seriously--He invites you to come and drink deeply. And I love this line as well: Why spend money on what is not bread, and labor on what does not satisfy? Why indeed?

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: