Sunday, July 8, 2007

Need Some Quiet? Some Simplicity?

Hey, Y'all,

Today's RST is again from Yancey's book on prayer and it contains several very cool thoughts. Enjoy! (and BTW, you've been prayed for today...)

"Prayer can seem dull or difficult; though if we give ourselves to it, it commonly ends up less dull and less obstructed than it began. What is dull or dark or labored on our side is not so on the side of God, who rejoices in every least motion of our good will towards Him..." Austin Farrer

I am convinced that God finds ways to communicate with those who truly seek Him, especially when we lower the volume of the surrounding static. I remember reading the account of a spiritual seeker who interrupted his busy life to spend a few days in a monastery. "I hope your stay is a blessed one," said the monk who showed the visitor to his cell. "If you need anything, let us know and we'll teach you how to live without it."

We learn to pray by praying...To begin, I need to think more about God than about myself when I am praying...How often do I come to God not with consumer requests but simply with a desire to spend time with God, to discern what God wants from me and not vice versa?...Prayer that focuses on God, meditative prayer, can serve as a kind of self-forgetfulness...After an extended time with God, my urgent requests, which had seemed so significant, take on a new light. Though my needs drive me to prayer, there I come face-to-face with my greatest need: an encounter with God Himself.

"The quieter the mind, the more powerful, the worthier, the deeper, the more telling and more perfect the prayer is." Meister Eckhart

No comments: