Friday, February 2, 2007

Yancey On Prayer -- Closing Introductory Thought

More from Yancey on prayer...speaking of which, you've been prayed for today.

"I have come to see prayer as a privilege, not a duty. Like all good things, prayer requires some discipline. Yet I believe that life with God should seem more like friendship than duty. Prayer includes moments of ecstasy and also dullness, mindless distraction and acute concentration, flashes of joy and bouts of irritation. In other words, prayer has features in common with all relationships that matter. [Rings true, doesn't it?]

"If prayer stands as the place where God and human beings meet, then I must learn about prayer. Most of my struggles in the Christian life circle around the same two themes: why God doesn't act the way we want God to, and why I don't act the way God wants me to. Prayer is the precise point where those themes converge."

[ Also too true--but it could just be me :-) ].

No comments: