Monday, August 14, 2006

Laughter In God's Presence

Hey, Y'all,

We'll get back to the previous string on life's experiences and our "shape" next time--today's is an actual Random Spiritual Thought I just ran across (thanks Bud!) and I had to pass it along. Read it carefully, maybe a couple of times and let it sink in:

It is the heart that is not sure of its God that is afraid to laugh in His Presence.
--George MacDonald

Think about your church, the people you know, your own life for that matter: is their God, is your God, distant, or angry? Or is He personable and warm? Does He have a sense of humor? Or is He perpetually annoyed with you and the rest of us?

Brought to mind the shortest verse in the Bible: "Jesus wept." (John 11:35). I've gotta say, I've read and heard innumerable explanations of that text, but I still can't entirely wrap my head around it--I mean I get them all, I hear what they're saying, but He's getting ready to resurrect Lazarus, and as a result it's about to become clear to many of His followers that He's not just a Good Man or a Great Teacher but something much much more...and yet, He wept. Love that. Don't even know why, don't understand why, but I love that Jesus, God, wept. That doesn't sound like some distant and annoyed God who barely tolerates us. It sounds like the kind of God I want to know better and understand better and emulate better. How 'bout you?

(You've been prayed for today, BTW).

No comments: