Friday, May 19, 2006

Why Be Anxious?


OK, here's the final setting of the quote we've been discussing, this time taken from Ministry of Healing, pp 480, 481. This RST is longer than usual but, seriously, even if you think you'll have a hard time doing so, please make the time, it was such a blessing to me to hear and think about and write--it's truly a change-your-life kind of deal if you give it a shot. (Besides, you haven't heard from me in a couple of days and this is it until Monday! ). Here's the quote:

"Many who profess to be Christ's followers have an anxious, troubled heart, because they are afraid to trust themselves with God. They do not make a complete surrender to Him; for they shrink from the consequences that such a surrender may involve. But unless they do make this surrender, they cannot find peace...

"Worry is blind, and cannot discern the future; but Jesus sees the end from the beginning. In every difficulty He has His way prepared to bring relief. 'No good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly' (Psalm 84:11). Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us of which we know nothing. Those who accept the one principle of making the service of God supreme, will find perplexities vanish, and a plain path before their feet."

Brings to mind a story we discussed in church last week and which helped engender this line of thinking in the first place. It's the story of Christ's calming of the storm--a simple story most of us have heard since we were kids, right? Interestingly, it turned into a rich and reaffirming spiritual experience for many last week. First check it out--it's short and recorded in 3 of the gospels: Matthew 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41, and Luke 8:22-25--and BTW I don't think it's a coincidence that 3 different writers recorded it for posterity (think about it).

Now after the discussion there were numerous big points for me, but we'll just discuss a few salient ones for now (and of course if you have other observations please feel free to send them in and I'll share them with the list/blog:

(1) Christ was with the apostles when the storm came up, right? So what does that say about my life? If--no, excuse me, when storms come up in my life, does that mean that God is no longer in my corner, or that maybe I made Him mad or He's gone? No! It just means that a storm came up. That's it, that's all. Storm came up--that's life, welcome aboard. And that brings me to the second point:

(2) So the storm came up and Christ was in the boat...what does that say about my life? He's in my boat with me. He's not some distant and disinterested God, He's right there with us in the boat! Doesn't matter what boat, doesn't matter where, God is right there with you and available immediately when you turn to Him for help. He's right there with you in your boat...Which brings me to another couple of points:

(3) and (4) How loud are storms? I mean, if this one was hairy enough to swamp the boat (and the Sea of Galilee is known to produce waves of up to 20 feet), it stands to reason that there was quite a racket going on, and yet Christ was asleep...so what does that bring to mind? Two things:

First, He was asleep while His followers were flailing and (here's a bit of an understatement) stressing and anxious and working ridiculously hard to remedy their situation (to no avail I might add). How come He could sleep through the storm? Seriously, think about it for a minute. Was Christ worried at all about drowning? Clearly, He felt safe and cared for by His Father despite the raging storm, and here's the point: who actually understood the situation correctly, the flailing and stressed-out disciples, or the peacefully trusting sleeping Christ?

Second point in regards to the raging storm: despite the howling wind and crashing waves, Christ was asleep, and yet He awoke immediately when His followers finally realized their plight and that the solution was not within them but in Him. He heard their cry for help despite the gale that was raging. He could sleep through a near-hurricane, but He couldn't sleep through a tired, desperate, weak cry for help from His friends. And you know what? He still can't. Even if you can't see Him, even if you can't believe it, even if you can't even hear yourself think because of the storms raging around you and inside of you, He's listening for your voice and is available to you, right here, and right now, and always. Call out to Him, He's listening!

Oh, and another thing (5): how likely was it in the disciples' minds that the storm would abruptly cease? Not even in the realm of possibility, right? And yet obviously it was, 'cause it happened! Hmmm...Our heavenly Father has a thousand ways to provide for us of which we know nothing. So, "since I can't see the way out, then, well, Lord, I guess we're screwed 'cause I can't see the way out and that of course means there's no way out," right? Or almost as tragicomic: "Lord, I've given it a lot of thought, and this is the solution--yeah, I know I can't see the whole picture, and that I don't have all the information, not to mention the other 999 ways you have that I couldn't even imagine--that's OK, Lord (how ironic to call Him that!), check it out: here's the only good solution to the situation...so please make it happen, and hurry up about it...oh yeah, please, that is." Hmmm...luckily it's just me in that boat, right? None of y'all have ever prayed that prayer...

And one last thought (6): I know, you're thinking to yourself (as I do as well), "that's all fine and good, but my storms don't generally end dramatically, with a raising of the hand and a 'Peace! Be still!' Most times there's still a lot of work to do, a lot of overcoming and coping and dealing. And that's true, especially those storms of our own making--which BTW, if you think about it honestly, many many are. I agree, things don't usually wind up honky-dory immediately, but here's what came to mind: where was Christ after the storm abated? Yep, still right there in the boat, still in the middle of the lake...He didn't just roll His eyes and calm the storm and then stomp off in a huff (on the water of course, right? ). Nope, He was still there, in the boat, keeping His followers company as they still had to make their way to shore.

So, it seems that the issue was more in their perception and understanding of the lake situation: were they any less safe when the storm was raging? Were they really any safer now that things were calm? No, obviously they were in God's hands the whole way (that's the only way Christ would be asleep, right?). So did it make any difference whatsoever whether the storm was raging or the sea was calm? Nope. Safe either way. What was the only real difference? Only their perception, their understanding, of what the lake situation really was. And so it is with us. Turns out life dishes out all sorts of storms and howling wind and driving rain (and likely some lightning and hail for good measure), but the only real storm is in my heart and mind, in my understanding of what's going on around me, and that's the storm He stills. That's how He can say "don't worry about anything," that's the only reason Paul--a guy who also knew a little something about trials and suffering (and storms)--could write "don't be anxious about anything," and it's the only way that James could describe trials and tribulations as joyful growth and maturation experiences.

It's not about the storms: those we get because we draw breath. What it's about is my understanding and my perception, and it's about Who's in my boat with me and Who's talking me through this experience and Who's keeping me company and Who's teaching me. It's about Who's calming the storm in me, it's about the PeaceSpeaker reminding me that "the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" John 14:26,27.

You've been prayed for today, earnestly. God is right there in your boat, whatever lake you are traversing, and He'd love nothing more than to have you nudge Him and tell Him what's going on in your heart and mind so He can soothe and calm and explain. He's that kind of God, you know.


No comments: