Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things To Tell Lea About God--A Continuation

Dear Lea,

As I write this you are reclined in your rocker, cooing and wiggling and listening to lullabies. It’s hard for me to imagine that you will ever experience any fatigue (like me at the moment) or depression, financial hardship, poor health, anxiety, loss… (I could go on).

All you have to do is trust us for your every need--it is, in fact, your only option. We’ll do our best not to let you down, but later on in life people you trust might; or all your own good intentions may come to nothing. One day you will be asking yourself:
“Is there something wrong with God, or is it just me?”

I don’t know what the pain in your life will be, but we all have some. There are always other ways to cope and struggle along, but oddly enough, the only answer that I have found is to return to a level of
trust that some might call infantile.

Lea, my hope for you is that you come to know this as the truest truth of all about yourself and God:

“You, oh God are all I [really] have,
and you give me all I [really] need…”

Psalm 16:5

For now, keep on playing, and don’t worry about the future. Come to think of it, you already get this concept of
trust don’t you? I guess that’s why He said,

“…Let the little children come unto me and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of God. Unless you receive the Kingdom of Heaven like a child you will never enter it.”
Mark 10:14, 15

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When times are hard and reality seems to be most "in your face", it's easy to cave into fatigue, depression, loss and all of the anxieties of life as you expressed. Indeed, trust becomes our only option, whether it is in God, our self, or some other person or entity. But I would further submit that even our faith, the core element that provides a base structure for our personal belief systems, is at stake when we succumb to despair. Deterioration at this level can trigger sequences that ultimately bring us down like a house of cards and we find ourselves with nothing left but fear.

Thankfully, however, we all have a Savior who's given us hope. I remember reading someplace that the most common command in the Bible is, "Do not be afraid." Jesus himself told his disciples on many occasions not to be fearful and He implores us not to be afraid. Fear and faith oppose each other. Fear says, "It can't happen, especially not for you." Faith says "I can do all things through Christ."

So thanks for the reminder, Mama. Little Lea is truly blessed to have you as a guide en route our final home destination.

Anonymous said...

Nice RST, spouse.

I was really struck by, "All you have to do is trust us for your every need--it is, in fact, your only option." How true (and how humbling) is that?!?

But then from God's perspective, good grief! I'm sure it's just me, but I've kind of made a career out of "being self-sufficient" (and I do mean "quote-unquote"), supposedly able to take care of myself and mine. How often do I honestly stop and ponder the fact that I am indeed (much to my chagrin) rather small and relatively helpless (to say nothing of slightly myopic and mildly stubborn--among other excellent qualities to which you can attest :-)

Thanks for the reminder...

"The truest truth of all about yourself and God:
You, oh God are all I [really] have,
and you give me all I [really] need.
Psalm 16:5"

Amen.