Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Between His Shoulders"

Hey, Y'all,

Today's RST is one of those whose very simplicity makes it unexpectedly powerful, sublime. It's found in Deuteronomy 33 (verse 12) where Moses' final blessings and prophecies regarding the Twelve Tribes of Israel are recorded. Funny...actually, I think of this verse fairly often, and must say that, without fail, I experience the same sense of wonder, of peace and reassurance, as the first time I heard it; like a cool breeze in the middle of an oppressively hot day, like that first gulp of cool water then you're utterly parched...funny too how Psalm 42's "As a deer pants (or longs) for streams of water, so my soul longs for You, O Lord," comes immediately to mind.

Anyway, it goes like this:

"Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him,
for He shields him all day long,
and the one the LORD loves
rests between His shoulders."

There's something about that phrase, "The one the LORD loves rests between His shoulders," that soothes me...probably 'cause they're mighty big shoulders, and consequently I can see myself resting secure there. How 'bout you?

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: