Sunday, February 17, 2008

Reply To "Let Nothing Perturb You" -- "Send Faith"

Hey, Y'all,

Heard back re: this recent RST from a good friend who I value not only for his sense of humor but for his depth--thanks, brother, for passing this on.

I am always impressed with the use of the word 'buttress', and you used it as a verb! You are the man!


Since learning the Serenity Prayer about 7 years ago, I have often used it to forcefully buttress my own faith. I often use it to remind myself to focus on acceptance when I am angry about something beyond my control. I more frequently repeat it as a kind of meditation when I am scared silly or very nervous. It can have a calming effect because most of my fear is about something outside of me that I cannot change or something I can change but just need some courage to do it.

There is a short saying that I really like that demonstrates the effect of the Serenity Prayer on my fear. "Fear knocked at the door. When Faith opened the door, there was nobody there." The Serenity Prayer reminds me to quit freaking out when Fear knocks at the door and to send Faith to answer the knock.

Words to live by..."Send Faith to answer the knock."

You've been prayed for today...


No comments: