Saturday, February 9, 2008

Let Nothing Perturb You

Hey, Y'all,

A few days ago I was telling someone ('sup, E :-) about this incredibly powerful little poem called "Nada Te Turbe" ("Let Nothing Perturb You") written by Teresa de Avila (also known as Teresa de Jesus--something to aspire to, no? :-), a Carmelite nun who lived in Spain in the 1500s. I read it years ago in a Spanish literature class and I don't think it would be overstating things to say that it changed my life--it's one of those seemingly insignificant little things that has surprisingly forcefully buttressed my faith through the fierce storms of doubt and impatience that we go through...'course I'm sure that it's just me who goes through 'em :-)
God is good, and that's the truth.

"Nada te turbe,
nada te espante,
todo se pasa;
Dios no se muda.
La paciencia
todo lo alcanza.
Quien a Dios tiene,
nada le falta.
Sólo Dios basta."

(Let nothing perturb you,
Nothing dismay you,
All things pass;
God never changes.
Patience achieves all.
Whoever has God

lacks nothing.
He alone is enough.)


You've been prayed for today...

No comments: