Thursday, May 31, 2007

Audio RST -- (Slightly Belated) Memorial Day Thought: "Gratefulness"

Hey, Y'all,

Sorry this has taken a bit to get out to you--been slightly busy this week at work (what is it about "short weeks" that makes them a little extra-crazy?), also been scheming--errr--planning a really cool program set for June 30th (stand by for further shameless plugs :-) as well as getting ready to preach this Sabbath and, finally, well, I guess it just took me a little while to get these thoughts just right (hey, I'm an editor, what do you want from me?!? :-)

So, though the wishes are now a bit belated, I hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend--I certainly did, managed to completely disconnect for a couple days and decompress from a phenomenally stressful couple of weeks/months/years (just in time of course to re-compress this week--oh well :-) Also had some time to realize again how gratifying the previous weekend was, especially because I got to see friends and family, some of whom I hadn't seen in far too long--thanks for making the effort and coming out (you know who you are :-) I am truly grateful to have you in my life. And to those who couldn't make it but wanted to--I know, and I totally understand. You were missed :-)

This weekend I was privileged to attend a wreath-laying ceremony on the flight deck of the (former) USS Midway. First of all, I've always liked Memorial Day--more than most holidays, I suppose--because it's all about concepts I value and respect immensely: real sacrifice, true honor, genuine idealism. Anyway, I figured there'd be a few of us standing around (after all it was fairly early in the morning and it was a long weekend), but I was very pleasantly surprised as more and more people (of all ages) arrived--families, boy and girl scouts in uniform, proud old codgers wearing their uniforms or VFW garrison caps--in all we numbered over 250. How cool is that? I love this town. My kind of people.

Anyway, we all rose and stood at attention as the color guard paraded and then posted the colors and the national anthem was played, then the speakers spoke briefly before we stood solemnly once more as Taps was sounded and the wreaths were reverently dropped into the bay while the destroyer USS Bunker Hill slipped silently by with her sailors manning the rails, rendering honors to the fallen as well. Utterly moving. Indescribably so...

One of the speakers used a couple of lines from favorite quotes of mine (one from the Tomb Of The Unknowns at Arlington, the other from Lincoln's Gettysburg address) to speak of the fallen. He reminded us that the purpose of Memorial Day is not merely to sleep-in and barbecue; we must teach the rising generations that there are those who rest in honored glory, having given the last full measure of their devotion, for these ideals.

As the service wound down, it occurred to me that Memorial Day is almost exactly 6 months before (and after :-) Thanksgiving (and Veterans' Day as well, I might add)--so that's kind of cool, huh? Two almost equidistant opportunities each year to scrape off some of the cynicism and selfishness I've accumulated and deeply feel and express and think about gratitude.

And then it occurred to me that long before all of these men and women I admire, these patriots, gave their all, Christ gave the last full measure of His devotion for me, and for you, that we might truly live, free. Hmmm...now how often do I remember that?

Funny, too, that all of this tied in beautifully with the conversation we'd just had (during a truly "superior" vespers at the James estate :-) about thankfulness and humility, and as I "threatened" to send out Hezekiah Walker's "Gratefulness" (BTW thanks Art for introducing me to quite seriously one of the greatest songs I've ever heard), here indeed it is. Put on some headphones, play it in your car, irritate your neighbors if you must, but play it loud, this song warrants it; close your eyes if you have to, and really listen to the message...and remember.

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: