Friday, April 20, 2007

Reply: On Dust And Reality

Warning: puns aplenty in the first part of this RST (and a little alliteration as well) --- yikes! somebody stop me! :-) First is a reply on the last RST from Ronnie (thanks, brother).

Nothing like a "fresh" reminder to bring me "back down to earth." Ahhhhhh, "dust"...I thought there was something vaguely familiar and comforting in thinking how good it feels to admit to myself and to God what a real, genuine "dirt bag" I am! [ed.: it's probably just me, but sometimes I'm much more "dusty" or "dirt-bag-ish" than others :-)].

Got me thinking about other people who've commented on our weakness and "dust-like-ness"--including Job, David, and Paul.

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,The moon and the stars, which You have made; What is man that You take thought of him,And the children of men that You care for them? Psalm 8:3,4

Lord, what are human beings that you should notice them,mere mortals that you should think about them?For we are like a breath of air;our days are like a passing shadow. Psalm 144:3,4

We do not have a High Priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have One who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet He did not sin. Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:15,16

But here, for my money, is the punchline:


"He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' ... So when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9,10.

His grace is sufficient, and my acknowledgment of my my weakness, of my need, enables Him to exercise His power on my behalf (it's my lame and at times downright counterproductive efforts at "being strong" that interfere with His work--interesting, huh?). When you are weak--and realize it--then you are strong because you've asked for His presence, His influence, in your life. Good deal.

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: