Friday, November 17, 2006

Follow-Up To "Of Goodness And Gardens"

Hey, Y'all,

Just got back from a couple of days at "The Pearl Of The Desert" --- NAF El Centro. Always good to get out of town and catch a quick change of scenery and spend some time in the desert (especially at sunrise and sunset and of course nighttime--you forget how many stars there are). And speaking of stars and nighttime, welcome to the world, Leila Simone Tabuenca .

Today's RSTs are a continuation of the last ones...but first, quick thanks are due to my brother Maximus from whose computer this RST is being broadcast (not to mention the carne asada feast that's fueling it --sweet!). Alright, here we go...

"It is a newly created garden He asks me to cultivate. I do not create it myself...Rather I dress and keep it as His new creation...If we would but keep our eyes on that creation and not on our own selves and our own relative attainments (or lack of them), every day doing the best we can to dress and keep that garden, how glorious would be the expression of divine grace in our lives."

Reminds me of 2 Cor 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" It's not something I do, it's something I receive as a gift from God, from "plugging in" and hanging out with Him and learning from Him and about Him and His Way. Also reminds me of Philippians 2:13, "It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose," or in another version, "For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." Sweet--like we read in the book Experiencing God, "It's not about me." It's about Him. His strength, His provision for my needs along The Way, including the desire and the strength to get on and stay on The Way.

One more thought: "And when those weeds of yesterday, those old habit patterns, reappear as I till this new creation--as inevitably they must--they appear as alien weeds I can attack from strength and not in weakness. Gradually they disappear forever, one by one--and I rejoice in their passing." Kind of a cool thought, that as I am more and more "under the influence" of the Holy Spirit, the things in my life that are not consistent with that life, with The Way, clash with my new life, and they are seen for the shallow and superficial and unsatisfying weak substitutes for Truth that they really are, and I don't want them anymore, I crave them less and less. Now THAT's good news.

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: