Sunday, October 22, 2006

Parting Thoughts On "So How Do YOU Get To Shore?"

Hey, Y'all,

Hope you're having a good weekend. Here's today's RST which is from Kathy (revisiting her RST from last week).

OK, so I looked it over again in a really good translation (Revised English Bible) and also in the Greek. The only other thing I would add is from verse 20, where Jesus speaks to those in the boat. The sentence is usually translated, "It is I; do not be afraid." The part "It is I," though, is actually the phrase "I am" in Greek. Of course, this is THE name for God in the Old Testament (how cool is that?). So, Jesus is not only declaring who He is; He is declaring His own divinity. Do the disciples fully understand? I don't know--there was a lot going on at the time. But the writer of the book tells us that they did take Jesus into the boat, and immediately the boat arrived at the other shore. [Ed.: They acted on what belief they had--memo to self--"I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)].

I also really liked verses 28 and 29 of John 6. "So they asked him, 'What can we do in order to do what God wants us to do?' Jesus answered, 'What God wants you to do is to believe in The One he sent.'" The next time I ask one of you, "How do I know what God wants me to do?" remind me of these verses.

Yeah, you and me both on that last bit, Kathy -- but I'm sure it's just us :-) . Reminded me of that old chorus we used to sing when we were kids (that is actually taken from Micah 6:8)--sometimes we get lost in the "doing" and forget what our heavenly Father--operative word being Father--wants from us:

He has shown you, O man, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Not that complicated, and yet not that simple...gotta love that.

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: