Thursday, October 12, 2006

First Reply to "So How Do YOU Get To Shore?"

Hey, Ya'll,

You know, for a "short" week this sure has been a busy one--that seems to always be the case I guess. Well, it's almost the weekend, right? Right. Today's RST is from Ronnie and it's a reply to the last one:

"That last RST got me thinking about something we touched on in our last Men's Group meeting (and previously). For me anyway, it's not so much whether we allow Jesus to come on board our boat as it is how much we actually--moment by moment--allow him to take command of our boat. How do we do that? It's one thing to make that instantaneous decision to turn over the wheel, especially after life has left us holding yet another bag and we realize after the fact that we probably weren't certified to navigate that narrow creek without a paddle to begin with! But it's a whole different thing to continue relinquishing the helm to the all-certified, all-qualified master commodore while out in the wide open waters of life where things are most tempting to relieve our ever-faithful Officer of the Watch.

"It reminded me of our family memory verse of the week: 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.' (Prov 3:5,6). You'll note that he didn't say some of your heart or a portion of your ways, no... with ALL your heart and in ALL your ways. So what's the deal? Why do we continually insist on telling God, 'It's okay, I got this one!'"

Thanks, Ronnie...that reminded me of another proverb that seems to grab me and tell me that precisely just when I'm starting to get confident in my ability to see straight on my own I ought to slow down and check my connection to The (only) One with the real "big picture" perspective on my life (and everything else, I might add). In fact, it must not just be me because it shows up twice in the book of Proverbs--14:12 and 16:25. It says "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." Not exactly sugarcoated, but I must be getting old 'cause I'm seeing the wisdom of those words. Think about it--it doesn't say that the way I might go on my own is obviously hazardous or foolish--it says it seems right--but it still winds up poorly, though. Contrast that with "He will make my paths straight" if I acknowledge Him in all my ways rather than leaning solely on (snicker, snort, LOL) my own understanding.
But yeah, I'm sure it's just me .

You've been prayed for today...

No comments: