Sunday, March 26, 2006

Big Trees, Big Picture

Hey, Y'all,

I've been moving some older RSTs to their new archive home (here at the blog) when I ran across these thought-provoking, perspective-lending, and deeply encouraging words which were originally sent out 5 October 2004. Even if you're not preparing for exams or dealing with academic stressors, these are really good words to live by...

"...The end of the semester's around the corner again--unbelievable. Can't deal with the stress? Take a moment, say a prayer, and I mean a real prayer, talk to God like a friend, tell Him what's on your mind, and then meditate on His goodness and generosity to us. Think about it. Like look at His wonders in creation--the birds, the plants, the oceans, the air, and yes, you. Try to see the big picture. Yesterday, I stopped and stood in the sequoia grove by Hildebrand. For the first time in 3 years here [Cal-Berkeley] I stopped and tried to see the tops of those massive trees. As I stood there craning my neck and listening to the wind rustling the leaves, it occurred to me...no one's ever watered these trees...yet, they're there, massively and gloriously...
Here's another cool thought along those lines: 'Like the stars in the vast circuit of their appointed path, God's purposes know no haste and no delay' (Desire of Ages, p. 32). Hang in there, God's right there with you, and His peace will cover you. Do as (the apostle) Paul counseled us, 'Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 4:6,7)."
Thanks Paul ("the other Paul") for a very cool RST--it spoke volumes to me today, and I know there are many who have been (and will be) blessed as well.
You've been prayed for today...

No comments: