Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Pour out your heart...Lift up your hands" (Part 2)

Hey, Y'all,

Wow, a week already -- good grief! OK, on to Part 2.

So I was reading Psalm 128 again as I periodically do (it's one of my favorite passages, but that's another RST for another time :-) when I decided to also read Psalm 127 (it's funny how often I'll run across something useful or thought-provoking when I read a chapter before and/or after; you should give it a try and see if the Lord doesn't use that little bit of initiative to speak to you in a shockingly clear voice).

At any rate, I'd forgotten that Psalm 127 starts out, "
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain."

That's striking a pretty profound chord in me these days.

It then continues, "
Don't you see that children are God's best gift, the fruit of the womb His generous legacy?"

Hmmm. Yeah. That one also found its mark. Funny how that works. I guess for me this RST is a call to action,
the culmination of thoughts and conversations Evonne and I have been having recently. It's a reminder that even though much has been written about God and the Bible, and much of it is in fact worthwhile, nothing can take the place of actually opening The Book and communing with its Author directly. As we've said here before, He actually seeks us out, He relishes His time with us, His children. He knows our lives, He knows our needs; that's why the invitation woven throughout scripture -- His eternal message to us -- is to stop, even for a just moment, and be refreshed and filled, our characters refined and ennobled:

"The Lord called to the man--as He still does--and said, 'Where are you?' Come now, let us reason together. Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life. Whoever is thirsty, let them come; and whoever wishes, let them take the free gift of the water of life." (from Genesis 3, Isaiah 1, John 4, and Revelation 22).

You've been prayed for today...

J



No comments: