Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Human Whisperer

Hey, Y'all,

Today's RST comes to us from the newer (and much cuter :-) half of this blog's writing tandem. Enjoy!

So one day I was at home doing laundry and I had an RST because of a bulldog on TV. It's true. I was watching the Dog Whisperer. For those of you who don't know about him, he's that guy on the National Geographic Channel (Cesar Millan) who is able to make 'death-row' dogs behave in shockingly short amounts of time and with methods that wouldn't occur to us average, non-dog-whisperer types.


On this particular show, The Dog Whisperer took a whacked-out Bulldog (who was snarling and nipping at everyone, even his family, for no good reason) and had him whipped in one day. He didn't put the dog on a chain and jerk him around. He didn't even kick him. He just forced him to the ground and held him still a few times whenever he got out of line. That's it.

The Dog Whisperer is surprisingly philosophical about what he does. He explained what he did for the dog by saying: 'The dog doesn't want to be out of control. He doesn't like that feeling. When I remind him that I am above him by holding him down and keeping him still, he becomes secure and calms down.'

What
The Dog Whisperer said reminded me of the way some of my newborn patients fuss and cry--for no good reason--until I swaddle them up tight: then they fall right to sleep or start to quietly look around. They weren't hungry or in need of a diaper change. They just needed to feel right.

So...what about me? If dogs need a pack leader and babies need to feel held, what do I need in order to feel right? I think it's easy to negate and minimize the parameters that God puts on us; like keeping one day just for Him, not being fake, not being immoral...yet I'm starting to realize that all of those things (there are only 10 anyway) are exactly what we need to feel...well...swaddled
.

It might be appropriate for us (like the bulldog) to realize that there's someone above us. We don't have to. But maybe, just maybe, He said (and did) what he said (and did) because he knows us like the Dog Whisperer knows dogs. Guess that makes God the Human Whisperer?

"Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that the Lord Himself is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other. You shall therefore keep His statutes and His commandments which I command you today, that it may go well with you and your children after you..." Deuteronomy 4:39, 40


You've been prayed for today...



No comments: