Thursday, September 6, 2007

Faith Is...

Hey, Y'all,

We were discussing this verse the other day (Hebrews 11:1) and it struck me again how rich even the "yeah, yeah, I've heard it a million times" texts are when you read them in several different versions.

In the NLT it goes like this:
"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see."

You might recognize the NIV more readily:
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

But THIS is the one I remember from when I was a kid--still sounds good and still rings true:
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for,
the evidence of things not seen."

Now listen, I'm by no means advocating a wholesale return to the KJV, but there are certain passages that are just...elegant. "The substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Yeah--faith is that.

You've been prayed for today...


No comments: