Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Easter -- Final Thoughts 2

(based on Max Lucado's No Wonder They Call Him The Savior, p. 20)


Final hours. Final words. Final acts.
They reflect a life well-lived.
Have you heard the last words of our Savior?

When on the edge of death, Jesus too got His house in order:
an anguished question of suffering; a trusting statement of deliverance.

"Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?'" ...

"'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.' With those words Jesus breathed His last."


Mark 15:34, Luke 23:46



P.S. Some of Christ's words above are actually verbatim from a Psalm of David--His blood ancestor--Psalm 22. For an amazingly moving experience, stop for a minute, find a quiet place, and read it in its entirety keeping that image in mind (below are some of the lines that jumped out at me).

My God, my God! Why have you forsaken me?

I am scorned and despised by all!
Everyone who sees me mocks me.

They sneer and shake their heads, saying,
"Is this the one who relies on the LORD?

Then let the LORD save him!
If the LORD loves him so much,
let the LORD rescue him!"

My life is poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint.
My strength has dried up like sunbaked clay.
My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.

My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs;
an evil gang closes in on me.
They have pierced my hands and feet.
My enemies stare at me and gloat.

They divide my clothes among themselves
and throw dice for my garments.

He has not ignored the suffering of the needy.

He has not turned and walked away.
He has listened to their cries for help.

His righteous acts will be told to those yet unborn.
They will hear about everything He has done.

Amen to that...You've been prayed for today.

No comments: